Sunday 11 September 2011

Why?

Dr Jonathan Bayes from Hambleton Evangelical Church spoke on Psalm 22.  This Psalm of David refers to Jesus Christ
and is quoted in the Gospels:

"My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”Matthew 27:45
They divided My garments among them,
      And for My clothing they cast lots"
  Matthew 27:35
"I thirst"  John 19 v 28  which corresponds to v 15 of the Psalm
"My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
         And My tongue clings to My jaws;
         You have brought Me to the dust of death. "

why was he forsaken?
Why this suffering? 
v22 -31 of the Psalm is a note of victory
All nations, all families, all ranks of people will turn to the LORD (v27)

God has highly exalted him and every knee will bow  (v28)
His righteousness is his gift.   The ticket we need to come into the Kingdom.   Jesus is the righteous one and as he died on the cross for sinners, in exchange for our sins he gives us his righteousness.
The cry in a loud voice in Gospels "It is finished" is the language of v 31 of the Psalm "That He has done this"  His work is complete all we do is receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment